Sep 11 2010

What More Can I Give?

Category: Humanitarian,Justice,MJ Quotes,Photos,VideosSeven @ 10:47 pm

Michael Jackson during the recording of What More Can I Give

Michael Jackson during the recording of What More Can I Give

Michael Jackson was originally inspired to write “What More Can I Give” after a meeting with anti-apartheid activist and President of South Africa Nelson Mandela in 1999.The songwriter stated that during a conversation with the then-President, the concept of giving was discussed by the pair. The singer revealed that it was during this interaction that the words “what more can I give” came into his mind and he began writing. With the first version of the song completed, Jackson intended to premiere it at his Michael and Friends – What More Can I Give concerts, staged in Munich, Germany and the South Korean capital Seoul in June 1999. Ultimately, Jackson did not perform the song at the concerts and it remained unreleased.

In 2001, two separate concerts were held on September 7 and September 10 in celebration of Michael Jackson’s thirtieth year as a solo entertainer (his first solo single, “Got to Be There“, was released in 1971). Held in New York City, the shows sold out within five hours of going on sale. The concerts featured performances by artists such as Usher, Whitney Houston, Mýa, Liza Minnelli, James Ingram, Gloria Estefan and Marc Anthony. They also contained solo performances by Jackson himself, and marked the onstage reunion of the King of Pop and his brothers (The Jacksons).

Hours following the second concert, Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked and crashed four commercial passenger jet airliners as part of a coordinated suicide attack on the United States. The attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon outside of Washington, D.C., and a crash near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, resulted in the loss of 2,993 lives. Following the events of September 11, Jackson rewrote “What More Can I Give” and expressed his views on the song, writing and music:

I’m not one to sit back and say, ‘Oh, I feel bad for what happened to them.’  I want the whole world to sing [“What More Can I Give”], to bring us together as a world, because a song is a mantra, something you repeat over and over. And we need peace, we need giving, we need love, we need unity.

I believe in my heart that the music community will come together as one and rally to the aid of thousands of innocent victims. There is a tremendous need for relief dollars right now and through this effort each one of us can play an immediate role in helping comfort so many people.

-Michael Jackson

Additional Info:

After the attacks, Michael instructed his security people to look out for his fans who attended his 30th Anniversary Concert that were stranded in New York City. He gave financial assistance to fans who could not afford hotel accommodations and rescheduled flights.

What More Can I Give
Written and Composed by: Michael Jackson

How many people will have to die before we will take a stand?
How many children will have to cry, before we do all we can?
If sending your love is all you can give, To help one live.

How many times can we turn our heads and pretend we cannot see?
Healing the wounds of our broken earth. We are one global family.
Just sending your prayers, Is something you’ll feel… Helping one heal

What have I got that I can give? What have I got that I can give?
To love and to teach you, To hold and to need you…
What more can I give?

Now let’s rather lay down our fears and reach out and make a pact.
Show him the love that is in our hearts let us bring salvation back
Just sending your love has the power to heal… So let’s all give

What have I got that I can give? What have I got that I can give?
To love and to teach you, To hold and to need you…
What more can I give?

Say the words… I’ll lay me down for you
Just call my name, I am your friend

See, then why do they keep teaching us such hate and cruelty?
We should give over and over again…

What have I got that I can give? What have I got that I can give?
See, to love and to teach you…To hold and to need you
What more can I give…(they think I’m crazy but I’m not!)
To hold and conceal you…To love and to heal you
What more can I give?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sony (“What More Can I Take“) refused to promote the song.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_We_Stand:_What_More_Can_I_Give

United We Stand: What More Can I Give was a benefit concert held on October 21, 2001 at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. The concert was the third major concert held in tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. The other two were held in New York City.

Performances

The concert was a half-day long spectacle beginning in the early afternoon and lasting well into the night. Performers ranged from classics including Janet Jackson, James Brown, Al Green, Carole King, Rod Stewart, Bette Midler, America, and Huey Lewis to modern-day contemporaries of the time including Destiny’s Child, P. Diddy, the Goo Goo Dolls, Train, the Backstreet Boys, Usher, Mariah Carey, Pink, and ‘N Sync.[1] Each performer did a brief set usually amounting to about five songs apiece.

Michael's jacket worn during the DC performance. Notice the '777' on the sleeve.

Michael's jacket worn during some of the performances. Notice the '777' on the sleeve.

Also notable were performances by Aerosmith, who performed at the festival as well as a scheduled concert in Indianapolis the same night, and Michael Jackson, who performed “Man in the Mirror” and closed the show by performing his new song “What More Can I Give“, along many of the performers who performed that night.

Television Broadcast

The event was televised, in an edited format, on ABC, several days after the concert. During the telecast, there was no mention of Jackson’s name and he was always filmed with the rest of the singers in the background; this was because Jackson signed a contract with CBS over the 30th Anniversary Special to not appear under his name in any other program; the airing of “Man in the Mirror” at an awards ceremony was also cancelled.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Joyce wrote in and reminded me that Adrian Grant’s ‘Visual Documentary’ book also references these shows. I have the book but absentmindedly did not reference it for this piece! Silly me.

Joyce writes:

“The 8 hour marathon concert, which was organized by Michael was held on Oct. 21st in Washington DC at RFK stadium. Over 3 million dollars was raised for the American Red Cross Liberty Relief Fund, The Salvation Army Relief Fund and the Pentagon Relief Fund through the ticket sales which sold out in one hour all 54,000 tickets priced between $25 and $75. Michael actually performed “We are the World” and “Man in the Mirror” during the show as well as leading the finale of “What More Can I Give“.

A two hour special of taped footage aired on ABC on November 1st. I suppose therein lies the unbelievably petty dispute between ABC and CBS. The 30th Anniversary special did not air until November 13th on CBS. So, I guess CBS in it’s infinite ridiculousness, was unhappy that ABC was cutting in on their exclusive show! How could they not realize that there could never ever be too much Michael shown anywhere and that there were certainly much bigger things to worry about going on in the world.

I do not think the song was ever sold to raise funds as far as I can tell. I’m sure that was all due to Sony and the timing of the release of “Invincible“, which happened on Oct 29th! Again, the absurdity of that boggles the mind!”

Finally, Here are some of the beautiful words that Michael spoke at the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ concert on Oct 21st:

-Michael Jackson, from A Visual Documentary 1958-2009 The Official Tribute Editionby Adrian Grant.

I am personally disgusted by the self-servitude and pettiness of these corporate entities at such a time. It certainly shows their ugly  “Me-first, Money-first, what more can I GET” attitudes. My God, thousands of our people had just been murdered in NYC and that was all they could think of?

In stark contrast, Michael’s love, beauty, and generosity shone through it all as our Angel on Earth came through for humanity again and again. This world will certainly never be the same without him.

Tags: , , , ,

30 Responses to “What More Can I Give?”

1. Ieva says:

I’m proud to be a Michael Jackson fan!

2. Hayat says:

It’s just more upsetting to know that PhoneySony didn’t release this CHARITY single.
    It just proves how dark and twisted they were. They didn’t want to release this CHARITY single – in that horrible time, after the horrible events, they STILL had their dirty agenda’s to Bring Michael down because he no longer wanted to renew his contract.

3. TLS says:

Nice to see (and hear!) Luther Vandross, who died in 2005. His wikipedia entry doesn’t mention his part in What More Can I Give. Nor does Celine Dion’s, for that matter. There is a wiki entry on What More Can I Give, but the fact that it’s not mentioned in either of the artists’ entries shows how effective efforts to not promote it were. Both Vandross and Dion had lulls in their careers at this time; it seems the fact that they cared enough about an issue to contribute is noteworthy–except that so much of the good MJ did simply WASN’T noted, was it?

4. truth seeker says:

^^^^ Wow, maybe we should update Wiki with this video link.
    There was many noteworthy artists in there. I was happy to see Ricky Martin and Gloria Estefan in it also.

5. alicia says:

It’s time for us to ask,What more can we give,what can we do to help someone in need,even if it’s just a SMILE.
    Love you all.

6. Joyce says:

This is such a beautiful, meaningful song. Thanks so much for the lyrics. I have watched that YouTube clip at least 100 times! Whether Michael is listening, mixing, or singing you can just feel every emotion coming from his heart and soul. He is truly heaven sent!!
    I believe that there was a telethon shorly after 9/11 with many artists performing and Michael leading the way with this song being sold to raise money. Am I correct in my recollection of that? The song was never promoted afterwards and was not ever sold again thanks to the absurd and greedy practices of Sony/music industry in general. They have way too much control over many peoples careers and lives. That is an absolute!!
    If anyone knows of anyplace to actually download this song I would love to know it!! I just know it will eventually be pulled off of YouTube like so many others.
    Thanks again Seven for a wonderful way to remember Michael and all those touched by the tragic events of 9/11!

7. Irma says:

God Bless Michael Jackson!!!!
    God Bless This Magical Lovely Human Being!
    I Love Him So Much!

8. Susan T says:

You know, for most of us, it’s probably impossible to say you have a “favorite” song by Michael. I love every song for different reasons. I loved his work with his brothers, then his monumental works as a solo performer, each album exceeding the previous one in originality and creativity. Overall, I think I love his last CD–Invincible–the most. There are just so many gorgeous songs. By the way, I watched his CD signing at Virgin Records last night on the Megabox DVD. I sat there, caught in a dream. How many entertainers would give of themselves like he did, sitting there for hours, signing each fan’s DVD, getting up periodically to hug and show such affection and appreciation for people he’d never met.

He was unique.

If you’ve not seen this video, you’ll want to try to find it. His expressions, his smiles and laughter, his touching interaction with a few children who parents brought along are so great. When you watch these scenes, you feel such conflicted emotions–love, compassion, joy, and deep sadness. It seems so real seeing him, hearing him softly singing along to “You Are My Life” while he signs CD after CD.

When I first watched him in the video of What More Can I Give, the 9-11 concert version, I cried. I couldn’t believe how beautiful, how soul-stirring this song was. Sadly, I didn’t see that 9-11 concert. I often wonder if it’s available on DVD. I’d love to have it.

I then watched the recording studio version. I really cried then. I cried because we won’t ever be witness to such brilliant expressions of love and compassion in this art form again. There’s no one who can create like he did.

“Once” is such a stunning word. It causes us to stop what we’re doing and pay attention. Once….upon a time, there lived a very special man. For those of us lucky enough to have grasped that word–Once–and been a part of the story that followed, our lives are forever changed.

What more can I give? A lot! There’s so much to be done, so much that we can do. So much that we can give.

I echo the words of Celine Dion….

Thank You, Michael Jackson, for writing such a beautiful song!

9. Susan T says:

Joyce, I found this link. I played it successfully the first time, but the second time I tried it, something interrupted it. It may be my computer however.

But….do try to watch it. It’s unforgettable!

10. Sina says:

Michael gave so much that nothing was left for himself.
    He put his heart and soul in the song.
    Its a shame ,for all his hard work and of the other artists AND especially for the charities ,that the song was never released.

We could spread the link to as many sites as possible to let it be heard and seen.
    It will not serve its purpose to generate money for charity, but at least Micael and the artists will get credit for their work.
    Is there a way to save all these vids before they are pulled off you tube.?

11. Joyce says:

Thank you Susan! It has been added to my long list of Michael YouTube favorites!! I wish I had watched this live back in 2001 but I think I was so caught up in everything that was going on it seemed impossible to even know which way to turn!
    Thank you Michael for always being the shining light!!

12. TLS says:

There are two ways to save YouTube videos before they’re pulled. You can download Wondershare Free YouTube Downloader and then buy Wondershare Video Convertor, or some other such software (it might be different depending on whether you have a Mac or PC). That gives the best quality copy and you can play it in iTunes or QuickTime and put it on your iPod, etc. A simpler way that doesn’t give great quality but does at least preserve it is to film it while it plays on your computer–with a video camera, iPod Nano camera or a second laptop with built in camera. If you just want an audio recording, buying QuickTime Pro lets you record and save an audio track of whatever is playing on your computer. I’m archiving anything I think might get pulled and that I want to continue viewing. For instance, the first thing I made my own copy of was the prison version of They Don’t Really Care About Us, as it is not available for purchase in any form last time I checked.

Another really simple way to save YouTube videos before $ony ( or anyone else ) yanks them is to use http://www.keepvid.com – just copy/paste in the URL to the video and the software will save the video in any format you choose (I recommend .mp4) – you can play them in QuickTime, iTunes or RealPlayer.

14. June says:

Seven – any videos I have seen of this charity song What More Can I Give always show most all the people on the stage singing closeup, and the entire production from a distance, but there is NEVER a close-up of Michael to my knowledge; he’s shown only from the back or from afar. I’ve always assumed that too is the work of Sony, and wondered just how petty they could be regarding a song written as a charity for the victims of 911. Do you have any info on why there’s never a close-up shot of Michael singing in front of the crowd of performers?

15. Joyce says:

June, I think I read somewhere that it was the network CBS that did not want Michael appearing on another network for any performance apparently because of some contract they had Michael sign from the 30th Anniversary show. I know I don’t have all the details correct but I think that is the reason there are not many close up shots of Michael. Do you have any other info about this Seven? It is unbelievable to me the amount of pettiness that goes on between networks and within the entire entertainment industry. You would think they would have been able to see the bigger picture after the horror of 9/11!
    Thanks to everyone for all the info about saving YouTube clips!

16. Susan T says:

Hello Joyce! So glad that you have it now.

So many of us were right where you found yourself during the 9-11 tragedy. I was in a daze. It was hard to function.

Hopefully, someone who is savvy with putting together video tapes, etc., will capture these vulnerable videos and put them on a CD. I’d pay for something like that. I’m just not very good about more involved steps to download programs, etc. I’m not a tech “geek” by any stretch.

I will try to download that program Seven suggested though.

Isn’t it just heartbreaking that Phony treated Michael so shabbily? After reading Guest’s book and the articles, etc. surrounding the 02 concerts, I am convinced that forces were at work to “eliminate” Michael. Much thought went into this plan. They knew that, just like Elvis, Michael Jackson would prove an to be an unending profit generator in death. I know that people who run certain fan sites aren’t taking a stand against them and in some ways, it’s very upsetting to me. Of course Michael was a very forgiving person but he was truly a victim and he wasn’t about to allow them to continue manipulate him.

As much as I would LOVE to have some of his previously unreleased work, I think he would not want us to contribute any of our hard-earned dollars to this disgraceful, deceitful “profits before ethics” exploitation machine.

Will i Am of Black Eyed Peas is opposed to the release of his music. He commented that he’s already given us so much. Isn’t it enough?

I agree!

Michael’s legacy is being controlled by highly questionable and VERY powerful individuals. It is very disconcerting and truly sad. Not even his family has the ability to intervene to make crucial decisions. I only hope that when Prince and Paris are old enough, they engage some really shrewd attorneys and they wrest control over their father’s estate from the Dirty Dozen? (for lack of a better identity!) and THEY are made the executors and principals.

I know his children are going to be everything his father dreamed they’d be and more! May God watch over his children and protect them always.

And may we fans never give up our struggle to restore Michael’s image and destroy every untruth, rumor and distortion the media and others continue to put out there.

Michael, we L.O.V.E. you most!

17. rose says:

Hello Joyce

you said you want to download the song What more can I give

I did so the other day from LIMEWIRE

good luck

18. rose says:

Hello Seven

This song was created from what I understand for the family of the victims of 911. so in essence the song was not released which means that the money from the proceeds never got to the victims families. IS THIS DAMN UNACCEPTABLE. I can’t image the help that the money could have provided for the families.

THIS MONEY BELONGS TO THOSE FAMILIES NOT TO SONY. This is not about Michael and Michael and the other artists never made it about themselves. WHY ARE THEY NOT STANDING UP TO SONY AND ALLOWING MICHAEL TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO IS TAKING SONY AND EXPOSING THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID.

LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN. ………..THIS IS FOR THE FAMILIES OF THE VICTIMS OF 911.

19. Lauren says:

Seven: Sorry, again. I thought you might
    see the incredible irony in this article today
    by Diane Dimond. Unbelieveable. I’ll put the link
    here:
    lies-to-you—b_b_706784.html

If that doesn’t work, just google Huffington Post
    with her name–the article is dated today.

Sorry, again for putting this in your comment section.

20. June says:

Joyce – now that I see what you put in writing, I DO seem the recall that Michael was bound to CBS for a while due his contract for the 30th anniversary special; and his charity program was on a different channel. Now isn’t that the height of pettiness at a time that someone (Michael) was trying to do something to help the victims of this tragedy? Yes, Rose, that is totally UNACCEPTABLE!

Lauren,

Yes, Demon Dimond would know all about that wouldn’t she, since she is one of the biggest offenders!

22. Susan T says:

At such a horrific time in our history, the networks should have put CONTRACTS, LEGAL CRAP, aside. What a pathetic world we live in that corporations could actually do such a thing!

I didn’t read the whole article Lauren provided, but I was eating a cookie and almost chocked on it. I loved her reference to “lock and load” journalism. Yeah, Diane, you forget that YOU practiced that quite religiously in your reporting on Michael Jackson.

Truly amazing how short her memory is, huh?

23. Sina says:

TLS and Seven, thanks for the info. I tried keepvid and it seems to work for me. So happy most of Michaels concerts, interviews and speeches were recorded, Michael was so right.

What more can I give,wasnt Mark Schaffel involved in the production of the videoclip of the song and he and Michael had a fall out? Or am I confusing things?
    As the song was never released there were no cd sales, no airplay so no proceeds. Evrybody lost. Thats the sad truth.

24. Joyce says:

Just one more thing regarding the “United We Stand: What More can I Give” telethon concert. I don’t know how reliable of a resource the Adrian Grant “Visual Documentary” book is but I do have a copy and I looked up the following information:

The 8 hour marathon concert, which was organized by Michael was held on Oct. 21st in Washington DC at RFK stadium. Over 3 million dollars was raised for the American Red Cross Liberty Relief Fund, The Salvation Army Relief Fund and the Pentagon Relief Fund through the ticket sales which sold out in one hour all 54,000 tickets priced between $25 and $75. Michael actually performed “We are the World” and “Man in the Mirror” during the show as well as leading the finale of “What More Can I Give”.
    A two hour special of taped footage aired on ABC on November 1st. I suppose therein lies the unbelievably petty dispute between ABC and CBS! The 30th Anniversary special did not air until November 13th on CBS. So, I guess CBS in it’s infinite ridiculousness, was unhappy that ABC was cutting in on their exclusive show! How could they not realize that there could never ever be too much Michael shown anywhere and that there were certainly much bigger things to worry about going on in the world.
    I do not think the song was ever sold to raise funds as far as I can tell. I’m sure that was all due to Sony and the timing of the release of “Invincible” which happened on Oct 29th! Again, the absurdity of that boggles the mind!
    Finally, Here are some of the beautiful words that Michael spoke at the concert on Oct 21st: ” Join hands and reach to the heavens…Don’t do it because I’m asking you to, do it because it’s the right thing to do. Now I ask you for a moment of love and silence… And tonight we all stand united and ask ‘What More Can I Give?’ and when we leave here tonight let us take this love and give it to all the people everywhere in every corner of the Earth… To the families of the victims of September 11th that are here with us tonight, ‘You Are Not Alone’. You are in our hearts, you are in our thoughts and you are in our prayers!” As quoted from “Michael Jackson, A Visual Documentary 1958-2009 The Official Tribute Edition” by Adrian Grant.
    In the final evaluation, the Love and concern that Michael shared and inspired in people through this beautiful song and incredible concert is what really matters!!

Joyce,

Adrian Grant’s book is EXCELLENT. Very highly recommended, accurate, and respectful of Michael and his legacy and a great reference. I actually have it but didn’t reference it for this. I should have! Doh!

I am disgusted by the self-servitude and pettiness of these corporate entities at such a time. It certainly shows us all where their priorities always lie. Michael’s love, beauty, and generosity shone through it all, nonetheless as our Angel on Earth came through for humanity again and again.

Thank you Joyce. I may add some of your comments to the piece.

@Sina,

Michael fired Shaffel because he found out he was a producer of porn films!

27. Hayat says:

Seven

“Adrian Grant’s Book is EXELLENT”

I’m at work and I pronounced the name out loud.
    It sounded VERY familiar.
    Then it hit me! I heard MJ saying this name in a playfull
    manner, he was being cute – watch this video on Youtube
    its really sweet how he was acting.

Adrian must hav been one of his good friends, thank goodnes

28. Jeanne says:

It is just so cruel. To have this kind of goodness , kindness , wisdom, and so many dark forces to gather together to try to cover his light . This is the good news ,, YOU WHO TRIED TO DARKEN HIS LIGHT FAILED ! Michael is shining BRIGHTER THAN EVER. And HIS WORK CONTINUES !

29. paradais says:

Does anyone know where Michael’s performance of “Man in the Mirror” from the benefit concert for 9/11 can be found?
    thanks

30. Gina Scrimizzi says:

Well said, he was just an amazing person, I wish this song would have done what it was intended to do, who knows maybe it still will in some way. He has left this world a better place and will always be my favorite entertainer not just because of his talent as a performer but because of his beautiful heart. We need more people in this world like him. Thank You✌